Find self-storage near you
Do you need a Removals service?
The Importance of Cleaning Out Your Storage UnitWhether you need storage for a short or long time, it is essential to ensure that your storage unit is always clean. The fact is, if you let a mess pile up, it will be harder to clean in the future, and your items will be more susceptible to damage, dust, and dirt. Therefore, it’s a brilliant idea to hire a cleaning service provider like DFY Cleaner if you own a storage unit. Booking a cleaning company specializes in cleaning storage units will undoubtedly help you achieve the best results!
There are several reasons why it’s vital to clean out your storage unit, and in this article, we have the top ones. Check out below to know more!
Cleaning Will Eliminate the Risk of Pests
- Pests such as cockroaches, termites, flies and rats love to dwell in places that are filthy. They thrive and breed in such conditions and will sabotage the safety of your site. Among the areas that these pests like to stay are in storage units. Storage units contain a lot of unused items and furniture where these pests can hide and nest; it’s also usually low in human movement, so they’re comfortable running around.
Pests in your storage unit can pose a significant risk. They can gnaw on your furniture and destroy it. Termites can even eat your wooden-items which will result in irreversible damage. Furthermore, pest stains and droppings can discolor your furniture if it isn’t cleaned up right away. So if you want to avoid such things from happening, regularly clean your storage unit!
Cleaning Will Stop the Growth of Molds and Mildew
- It may come as a surprise to many, but your furniture can actually develop molds and mildew. These bacteria thrive in moist areas, and if your storage unit isn’t properly ventilated and maintained, it can increase the chances of them growing. Mildew and molds are dangerous, especially when they’re inhaled, so if you’re frequently visiting your storage unit, you may be unconsciously inhaling them.
- In order to combat these bacteria, practicing a regular cleaning routine will surely help. By organizing your furniture to implement good ventilation, dusting your items and cleaning your floors and walls, you’re sure to stop these organisms from growing. Also, be sure to double-check your storage unit for leaks or moisture since it can trigger mildew and molds.
To further minimise the risk of molds and mildew in your storage unit, consider renting one with climate control. Here are some items that are best kept in a climate-controlled storage unit.
Cleaning Will Cut Down on Excessive Clutter
- Our storage unit is where we store all the things we don’t need or don’t use anymore. As a result, furniture and items can store up as the year passes by, especially when you don’t regularly clean up and organize. These things can take a lot of space and may even cause dangerous accidents.
- However, if you take the time to clean your storage unit, it’ll allow you to quickly identify items that you actually need anymore and cut down on excessive clutter. Organizing and cleaning your storage unit can also enable you to make the most out of your area and make sure that everything you need is quickly accessible.
Cleaning Will Lower The Chance of Health Risks
- Your storage unit can quickly accumulate dirt, dust and debris since it’s usually clumped up with new things and furniture. When you visit your unit frequently and don’t take the time to clean it, you are exposing yourself to the risk of health problems.
- It would be best if you remembered that nothing is more vital than your health. Although you can’t entirely protect yourself from all the illness or disease out there, taking preventive measures such as cleaning can be taken to reduce your chances of falling sick.
Tips to Clean Your Storage Unit
- Now that you know the importance of maintaining a clean storage unit, it’s good to know what things you can do to help clean your storage unit. We’ve listed down the best and simple tips you can practice, so read on below!
- Before placing an item into your storage unit, be sure that you wipe and dust it to ensure that it won’t bring in dirt and germs inside.
- Regularly throw out or give away the things you no longer need. A compressed and tight space can encourage the infestation of pests since clumped up furniture gives them better protection.
- It is highly recommended that units be dusted, cleaned and rotated annually. By this, we don’t imply rotating items into one unit to another. Instead, it is about arranging your things, getting into the middle of the storage area to move out boxes, dust off items and sweep floors.